This has been an amazing week of mail! I’m sure the carrier hates me by now, and it certainly doesn’t help that the electric/gas company has had my road, directly in front of my driveway, completely torn up for the last two days (this is three months of trying to get a gas leak fixed that’s just gotten out of hand…)
Anyway, while not all freebies, I definitely had tons of fun this week!
First, the paid stuff!
- Subscription box heaven (for me at least!). Ipsy, BarkBox, and Bonjour Jolie. All fantastic this month, and really glad these are some of
my selected few! My reviews are listed here.
- Sampler packs galore! My 5 Sample Society Mystery Samplers and the Total Beauty Ultimate Sampler. See link for the Total Beauty items, looks like it’s still up for sale!
As for the freebies, I’d say I got some really nice things this week-
- Alterna Caviar Repair RX Instant Recovery
Shampoo and Conditioner, plus the Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Mist. I got this to try from the Elle Inner Circle. Been a member for a while, but nothing really happened, so I had kind of forgotten. Then this came as a bit of a surprise, so it’s getting added to Sites I Love!
- PinchMe arrived! This was probably the most I’ve ever gotten from a sample Tuesday. Three Summer’s Eve Cleansing Cloths, Dove Oxygen
Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner, a Milk- Bone Brushing Chew (Riley ate it), and a new bottle of Sinful Nail Polish (which is really great stuff for the price!)
- One of MANY new Crowdtap Sample and Shares – Sweet ‘n Low, which came with a 50 pack box, plus samples and coupons, and some recipe cards. I’m totally feeling the skinny margaritas for this weekend–we have absolutely NO WHERE to go, and I’m looking forward to some serious sit on my butt in the yard time!
Hopefully still more to come next week! Though I’m winding down on this month’s sub box list (c’mon good Style Box!) How was your week?!
Recently, Sample Society sold a ton of mystery boxes. I managed to snag one of each of the $10 sample boxes (A-E). With a code, I got free shipping and the total came to $35. I based the prices I came up with on Amazon, rather than BeautyBar.com, especially since the contents were from old sample boxes. For the most part, the prices were often comparable. Each box came with a $15 off coupon, but all were long expired, so that was useless.
Here are the contents of each:
Box A – February 2014 ($33.64)
|Alterna Bamboo Volume Plumping Strand Expand
|Alterna Bamboo Volume 48-Hour Sustainable Volume Spray
|AHAVA Mineral Botanic Velvet Body Lotion – Tropical Pineapple & White Peach
|MURAD Rapid Collagen Infusion
|Phyto Keratine Ultra Repairing Mask 1.7oz travel
Box B – January 2014 ($70.75)
|StriVectin SD Eye Concentrate
|butter London Horse Power Nail Fertilizer
|Tocca Margaux Eau de Parfum
|Orlane Paris Extreme Line Reducing Lip Care
|Stila Cosmetics Color Balm Lipstick, Vivienne
The card insert listed a different StriVectin product than the one I actually received, which was a bit of a bummer since this was a duplicate item.
Box C – February 2014 ($49.14)
|Minus 417 Dead Sea Cosmetics Hand Moisturizer, Ocean Fragrance
|butter LONDON Nail Lacquer – British Racing Green
|Diptyque L’Eau Du Trente Quatre
|IPKN Moist & Firm Beauty Balm Cream #02 (Light)
|Radical Skincare Age-Defying Exfoliating Pads
I made a guess on the IPKN cream, since there was not a size noted on it.
Box D – January 2014 ($54.01)
|StriVectin SD Eye Concentrate
|butter London Horse Power Nail Fertilizer
|Nicole Richie Eau de Parfum
|Malin & Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
|StriVectin Instant Retexturizing Scrub
I found the Nicole Richie perfume much cheaper than listed on the card, and wasn’t impressed at all.. Duplicate butter London product and StriVectin.
Box E – November 2013 ($34.96)
|Jane Iredale Lip Drink Lip Balm
|Borghese Splendore Brightening Makup
|Annick Goural Eau d’Hadrien Eau de Toilette
|Murad Anti-Aging Acne Pore & Line Minimizing Hydrator
|Illume Balsam & Cedar Metallic Tin Candle
I actually based the candle price on the burn time rather than amount of candle. Otherwise, it’s valued a bit lower–but to me, how long a candle actually lasts is where it’s at.
All in all, I would have loved a teeny bit more makeup, and a lot less perfume! But I did get a lot of stuff I’m definitely willing to try, though some scream winter time, so I’ll be packing them away until then.
Was definitely a TON of fun coming home to this box, though!
I’ve made it another week, and while things started slow, I definitely think this turned out to be a pretty fun week of mail.
- Folgers Gourmet Blends sampler pack – I’ll never say no to some free K-Cups to try, especially as generous a sample as four! Most only ever come with two. I’ve had a couple of the Folgers gourmet blends, and was definitely impressed. There’s a couple here I haven’t tried, and the $1 off coupons will definitely be put to good use!
- P&G sample pack – I’ll have to add this one to sites I love with a reminder. Once per quarter, you can request samples from Proctor and Gamble. This go around I got Herbal Essences Body Wash – Body Burst, and Olay Sensitive unscented body wash. They also send a pretty decent book of coupons, though this one wasn’t as full as ones I’ve gotten in the past.
- Cheerios – A single serve. Can’t go wrong there!
- Singing Dog Vanilla Organic Lip Balm – This was my first blog giveaway win. I haven’t used them much yet, except to try. Michael didn’t get my “hint” that basically said please take the mail in to make sure my stuff doesn’t melt while I was at work… All was well, fortunately. The flavors are all varieties of vanilla-Vanilla (which I did try and was good!), Vanilla Cherry, and Vanilla Coconut. Check them out for all your vanilla needs!
- I did order a planner, which came. I have one for work, but I needed a new personal one. I like a good paper one–call me old fashioned. Fortunately this one starts mid year, so I didn’t feel like I was wasting half a year.
- June 2014 Birchbox and a Mystery Sampler Pack – woo!
Next week is gonna be a busy one! I’m expecting Barkbox, Ipsy, and Bonjour Jolie (if they send, getting worried here…).
Plus, since I’m just getting on the sample and beauty box bandwagon, I wanted to boost my stockpile a bit. So…
- I snagged up one of each of the 5 $10 Sample Society Mystery Boxes. Kicking myself for hesitating on the $15 boxes, but using the code BBTWITTER, plus the spend $50 get free shipping, my total came to $35. Should be here Friday!
- A Total Beauty Ultimate Sampler which gets me $80 in full size and deluxe samples (see link!). Use the coupon code 15SAVE, and it’s only $14.45! Should be here by Wednesday.
- And while this won’t be coming until next month, you can score a free Beauty Box 5 box, or a 3 month sub for $6 per month using the code FREE614. I opted for a 3 month sub!
How’d you do this week?
BirchBox is a monthly beauty subscription that sends you beauty and lifestyle items that may be sample size, deluxe sample size, or even full size!
Cost – $10 per month, $110 for 12 months (one day left to get a year sub for $99 using the coupon code BBSUBYEAR! Ends June 9)
With last month’s box being my first, I received both May and June around the same time. While excited, now I know I’ll have the real month long wait between boxes-kind of depressing considering how much fun that was!
Sorry about the fuzzy pic, didn’t realize my lens managed to get a bit dirty.
This month’s these is “Away We Go” and the samples provided are designed to have you travel ready (which somehow includes stay-cations). They also included a travel quiz, which you can take to enter for a chance to win your own getaway. There were only a few questions, and I managed to pick a pretty well rounded bit, only barely picking New York, New York in the end.
So what’s in the box?
- Number 4 Hair hydrating shampoo and a bonus conditioner – This stuff smelled amazing! And I loved the way my hair felt, though there was almost a bit of a filmy feeling afterwards–Like I couldn’t quite rinse the conditioner fully.
- COOLA Tinted Matte SPF 30 for Face – I haven’t had a chance to try this one yet, but I’m always interested in a good face sunscreen. The tint is a nice bonus if it ends up looking good.
- Gilchrest & Soames London Collection Body Lotion – Was not a fan. It smelled alright, and I’ll definitely use the rest, but it was super runny for a body lotion. I like something with a bit more substance to it.
- Vasanti Cosmetics BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Renovator – This is probably my favorite item in this month’s box. I love a good face scrub, and this stuff felt awesome. It had superfine minerals that felt really amazing, and I loved the way my face felt afterwards.
- Joie Folle de Joie Eau de Parfum – Perfumes are never my favorite in a box. I think it’s mainly because I hardly wear them during the week (I’ve always felt it’s poor etiquette to wear perfume in an office). This one was OK. It’s a bit sweet and flowery, and light, so for me it would be nice during the day.
So that’s the goods in my box. I’d love to have gotten some makeup to try, but I’m still happy with everything I got to try! The only major disappointment is that I’ve gotten two perfumes in a row, despite my profile. We’ll see what next month brings, or Ipsy’s box, then I’ll try fiddling with my profile.
My breakdown: I paid $1.43 for this box (Note: I’m not yet sure if BB will let me review both the shampoo AND conditioner, but I’m assuming yes.)
What did you think of the June 2014 Birchbox?